Wednesday, August 5, 2026

The particular shape of each goodbye



I have been sitting with people in their grief my whole life. More intentionally for the last twenty years, as a pastor. More specifically still, for the last two years, as a grief coach. Across all of it, there's one thing I can say with real confidence: it is never the same reaction. Two people can lose almost the same thing - a parent, a spouse, a friend - and grieve in completely different ways. One goes quiet. One gets furious. One can't stop moving. One can't move at all.

That much, most people expect. What surprises people more is this: it isn't even the same within one person.

I have watched the same person move through loss after loss in their life, and each loss has its own weather. The grief for a parent doesn't look like the grief for a sibling. The grief for a spouse doesn't look like the grief for a friend. Even two parents, lost years apart, can be mourned in almost opposite ways by the very same person. Quiet the first time, and loud the second. Or the reverse. 

For a long time, I would watch how we move as we assume grief is something that happens in a person - a process they move through, a set of stages, a timeline that gets faster or slower with practice. But if grief were really about the person, it would look roughly consistent from loss to loss. It doesn't. Which tells me grief isn't primarily about the person grieving. It's about the specific, particular shape of the bond that's gone.

You are not grieving "loss" in the abstract. You are grieving this relationship - its particular texture, what it gave you that nothing else gave you, what it asked of you that nothing else asked, what's now left unfinished because that one person is the only one who could have finished it with you. A parent who raised you and a parent who disappointed you leave two different absences, even if it's the same parent. A friend you saw weekly for thirty years and a friend you loved from a distance leave two different absences, even though both are real.

This quietly dismantles something people often expect of themselves: that grief should get easier to do, the more times you've done it. That having survived one loss should make you better equipped for the next - more efficient, less thrown, further along some invisible curve of expertise. I don't think that's how it works. Each grief is a first-time experience, because each relationship was a first-time relationship. There is no such thing as graduating into expertise at your own grief. You can be practiced at surviving loss in general and still be entirely undone by this particular one, because this one is asking something none of the others asked.

I think this matters most for the people standing next to a griever, trying to help. It's tempting to pattern-match - I remember how they were last time, so I know what they'll need this time. But if grief is relational rather than personal, last time doesn't reliably predict this time. The person you're sitting with may need something completely different than they needed a year ago, even though they are, on paper, "going through the same thing." The task isn't to remember and apply. The task is to actually watch. Actually ask. Actually meet this grief, freshly, as if you'd never walked beside this person's grief before - because in a real sense, you haven't. This one hasn't happened before either.

I haven't buried someone extra close to myself, so I hold all of this loosely - as something I've noticed, not something I've lived. But sitting alongside so many people, in so many different griefs, has taught me at least this much: love differently, grieve differently. Every relationship, its own touchpoint. Every loss, its own first time.


No comments:

Post a Comment