Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Brave and Wise

It's not an easy task to listen for words that may help to define us.  It takes some practice in listening and discerning.  and then there is a certain amount of letting go of control.  

I was pretty sure that I wanted my words for the next year to be something like abundance and happiness - and maybe it will end up that way - but what came to me was a little different.

This year on Christmas morning I found myself in a store in the Sun Country terminal at LAX - waiting (for 2 hours) for a flight to MN for our Christmas break.  We had decided it would be better to be extra early than stress about traffic.  So to pass the time I was browsing in the store and looking for a comb for my daughter who has some of the most strong-willed hair of anyone I know.  

As I walked up to the register a little old chinese lady hurried behind the counter and greeted me with a kind smile and a "Merry Christmas", which at first caught me a little off guard, since I just didn't expect it (even on Christmas Day).  

I replied with a smile and a "Merry Christmas to you". 

Her eyes twinkled at me as she said joyfully "and a happy New Year"

Again - I was not ready for that.  I must have needed coffee. I responded with a smile, "and Happy New Year to you, too."  I got ready to give her my card...

But she was not finished - she looked my right in the eye and said "And be Brave, and Wise"

Who says things like that, I thought to myself, while at the same time thinking she must be very intuitive..."Thank you - those are good words"

Then very purposefully she said - "Not enough girls are brave and wise - and I think you could be brave and wise - I think more of us need to be."

I am sure there were a few tears that came to my eyes - she was so earnest in her words and I was moved that she would bless me with these words.  I responded as best I could - "Thank you, that was an amazing blessing.  YOU are a blessing." I said as I gently touched her arm - then I smiled and left.

I have now had a few days to savor these words - as I spend time with my "tribe of origin".  I am honored that these are the ones that have come to me.  I am looking forward to looking for ways they will play out in my life.

In the meantime I am shaping the new year around goals and activities that will help me live into being Brave and Wise (and quite frankly that alone feels a little brave and a little wise).

What are things that you would define or Brave or Wise?



No comments:

Post a Comment