Friday, December 9, 2011

Practicing Happiness

My husband is a perpetually happy guy.  There is not much that gets him down and his happiness seems so effortless.  Although I treasure my vast array of emotions there are most definitely times when I long to have that effortless "happy" feeling.  I believe that happiness is not an end goal, but something that we experience in moments, great and small, throughout life.  I also believe that happiness is a practice that we can put into place and the more we live into our happiness the more it becomes ingrained in who we are.

I ran across an article earlier this week 12 Things to Make you Happy.  As I read through it I thought that these would be some great practices to put to work now through the holidays and continue through the new year. (here is the short form)

  1. Express gratitude.
  2. Cultivate optimism. 
  3. Avoid over-thinking and social comparison. 
  4. Practice acts of kindness. 
  5. Nurture social relationships.
  6. Develop strategies for coping. 
  7. Learn to forgive. 
  8. Increase flow experiences. 
  9. Savor life’s joys. 
  10. Commit to your goals. 
  11. Practice spirituality.
  12. Take care of your body.
Although we may all order these differently since our personalities/values/priorities are so very different I invite you to join me in this journey of discovery and practicing happiness.  Pick one or two to start with and enjoy the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment