Friday, November 18, 2011

meditate - patience

Let nothing upset you,
Let nothing startle you.
All things pass;
God does not change.
Patience wins all it seeks.
Whoever has God lacks nothing:
God alone is enough. - St. Teresa of Avila

As we enter into the Holiday season, I can feel myself already getting a little tense about the lengthening to-do list.  Don't get me wrong, I like to be busy, but add onto the busy-ness that my schedule will not be my own for about 3 weeks over Christmas I get a little tense.

Realizing that this is only a short time helps, but there are other tools that help reduce the stress too.  
Writing, exercise, a glass of wine, talking with good friends, smells and scenes from a happy childhood, traditions upheld (and maybe even modernized a bit) . . . I am sure you can think of 3-4 of your own stress relievers.

It's amazing what even one of these things can do.  And seriously - that breathing meditation that I have been doing, AMAZING(ly harder that one might think).  I still have to work at it, but it does get easier, and I have noticed that it makes a difference in how I breathe throughout the day - which also makes me more aware of what I am doing, and more intentional about how I am spending my time.

The holidays can be a very stressful time, but also a very amazing time.  Let it be easy.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment